The Myanmar Oncology Society was established in January 2010 with members from oncology and all allied specialties. The aims and objectives are:
- to promote CME activities in oncology in Myanmar
- to help train Myanmar oncologists to become up to international par in knowledge, skill, attitude, and practice in the field of oncology
- to implement knowledge exchange programs with regional/international oncologists and allied specialists/scientists
- to encourage participation of Myanmar oncologists/scientists/allied specialists in international/regional conferences and symposia, etc
- to promote "multidisciplinary management approach” for cancer patients in Myanmar
- to promote palliative care for cancer patients
- to help promote cancer control/prevention/screening programs in collaboration with authorities and concerned institutions
- to promote cancer research in Myanmar
- to promote health education in oncology
- to collaborate and cooperate fully with all allied specialties and organizations (both government and non-government) in striving to achieve the above mentioned aims and objectives.
Over the past 5 years, the society has been able to achieve the above mentioned aims and objectives to a reasonable extent in the face of quite a few seemingly insurmountable obstacles. Help, encouragement and cooperation of the colleagues from allied specialties have been of paramount importance in overcoming these obstacles. The society has also established mutual relationships with eminent international institutions in the field of oncology, like NCI (USA), ASCO, ESMO, NCI (Thailand). IARC (India and Lyon) and other regional institutions. However, despite these achievements, we are not complacent and we regard all these achievements as the beginning of a long journey towards our ultimate goal which is to set up top-notched oncology service in Myanmar. We sincerely hope that “blessing from above” and “cooperation from colleagues” will give us a much-needed boost to keep up our morale throughout the journey.